These pages show you images of a one week stay in Italy in June 1991. Images include Elba, Portoferraio, Villa San Martino, Piazza del Duomo, Piazza dei Miracoli, Pisa. Portoferraio, the largest town on the Isle of Elba, was founded in 1548 by Cosimo I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany. In 1814 it was handed over to Napoleon Bonaparte, as the seat of his first exile. From May 4th, 1814 until February 26th, 1815 Napoleon Bonaparte lived in exile on the Isle of Elba. His summer residence was the Villa San Martino, situated 5km from Portoferraio. The fresco painting in the Egyptian Room inside Villa San Martino was made by the painter Vincenzo Revelli.The fresco painting inside Villa San Martino was made by the painter Ravelli. After 10 months Napoleon escaped from Elba and went back to France. Villa San Martino lies just behind the neo-classical building of Demidoff palace. After 10 months Napoleon escaped from Elba and went back to France.From May 4th, 1814 until Februay 26th, 1815 Napoleon Bonapate lived in exile on the Isle of Elba. His summer residence was the Villa San Martino, situated 5km from Portoferraio. A flying insect resting on a flower in the interior of Elba. The Piazza del Duomo, or Piazza dei Miracoli as it is also known, is situated in the centre of Pisa. On the west end lies the Baptistery, a round Romanesque building dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Its construction began in the mid 12th century.The Piazza del Duomo, or Piazza dei Miracoli as it is also known, is situated in the centre of Pisa. On the west end lies the Baptistery, a round Romanesque building dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Its construction began in the mid 12th century. The Campanile, or Leaning Tower of Pisa as it is commonly known, lies on the est side. Construction of the bell tower began in 1173 and took place in three stages over the course of 177 years. Five years after construction it began sinking on its south side. At its greatest the lean measured approximately 5.5 degrees.The Campanile, or Leaning Tower of Pisa as it is commonly known, lies on the est side. Construction of the bell tower began in 1173 and took place in three stages over the course of 177 years. Five years after construction it began sinking on its south side. At its greatest the lean measured approximately 5.5 degrees. The heart of the Piazza del Duomo is, obviously, the Duomo, the medieval cathedral, entitled to Santa Maria Assunta (St. Mary of the Assumption). This is a five-naved cathedral with a three-naved transept. The construction started in 1064.The heart of the Piazza del Duomo is, obviously, the Duomo, the medieval cathedral, entitled to Santa Maria Assunta (St. Mary of the Assumption). This is a five-naved cathedral with a three-naved transept. The construction started in 1064.