These pages show you images of a one week stay in the Canary Islands in September 2011.
Images include Tenerife, San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Plaza del Adelantado, Palacio de Nava y Grimón, Ayuntamiento, Casa de los Capitanes, Casa de Alhondiga, Casa Montańéz, Iglesia de La Concepción, La Gomera, La Palma
San Cristóbal de La Laguna is a world heritage listed city in the northern part of the island of Tenerife. Centrally located in the old centre of this former capital lies the tree lined Plaza del Adelantado surrounded by several interesting building like the 16th century Palacio de Nava y Grimón.
Also situated on the Plaza del Adelantado is the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento) of La Laguna. Building started in the first third of the 16th century and was completed in 1545. The present main facade dates from 1822.
The yellow Casa de los Capitanes was built by Captain General Diego de Alvarado-Bracamonte in the first third of the 17th century. The blue Casa de Alhondiga, dating from 1706 was mainly used as a corn exchange. Today it's part of the Town Hall.
Detail of the wooden door of the Casa Montańéz with its door knocker. Dating from 1746 it has recently been restored.
The Iglesia de La Concepción was the first parish church of Tenerife and built after celebrating the Corpus Christi festivities for the first time in Tenerife in 1496. The tower was finished in 1697 and is a landmark symbol of La Laguna.
The richly decorated portal of the Iglesia de La Concepción. The church was re-built in 1974, after the naves started to collapse in the 60´s.